Thursday, October 4, 2012

Just when you think the hard part is over...

My elders have always told me that getting married is the easiest part…the difficult part is changing your name and everything that comes afterwards haha. Many people make the process out to be much harder than it actually is, so I am going to give you a step-by-step guide to changing your name without all the hassles that everyone seems to talk about. Just take things one step at a time and the changes will be made before you know it.

Marriage Licenses: Before you start the name changing process, make sure you have at least 3 certified copies of your marriage license.
  1. Social Security Card - The first thing you should change is your Social Security Card. To apply for a new Social Security Card, complete an application online (http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber/ss5.htm) and mail it to your local Social Security Office.
  2. Passport - Next, I recommend updating your passport. This is how you can get around state laws that restrict two middle names on drivers' licenses. Some DMV’s require you to list your name on your Drivers' License exactly as it appears on your Passport, so if you update your passport first, the DMV has to list your name that way.  Fill out the correct forms and mail them in as directed. (http://travel.state.gov/passport/correcting/ChangeName/ChangeName_851.html)
  3. DMV - Then, change your name with the DMV. Contact your local DMV to find out what the paperwork requirements are, but I would recommend bringing every form of identification that you can find (birth certificate, marriage license, old license, passport, etc.)
  4. Everything Else - Most of the other changes you will need to make can be taken care of by completing this process. .

    1. Open up a word document.
    2. Use the Following Template:

Date:
«Company»
«Address», «Address_2»
«City», «State» «Zip»

Re: Request to change name on account #
«Account_»

Dear Sir or Madam:
My account is carried under my maiden name: <     >. However, I have recently married and now am legally known as: <     >.
This letter is my formal request that you change your records of my account to reflect my new name. Below I have listed the pertinent information you can use to update my account record:

Pre-marriage information
Updated information





If you have any questions about these changes, you can contact me by mail at my new address or by telephone at .
I am enclosing a copy of my marriage license. This will verify my name change and ensure accurate spelling on my updated account record. 
Thank you for your prompt attention to my request.
Sincerely,



Enclosure: marriage license (copy).



    1. The letter can be updated to include other information that may need to be changed.
    2. Include a photocopy of your marriage license with each letter (do NOT sent your certified copies unless it is specifically requested).
    3. Mail the letters and you're all set.

Items that may be handled (some of these items may require additional information) include (but are not limited to):
  • Employer information
  • Credit Card Accounts
  • Financial Accounts
  • Mailing Address
  • Utility Companies
  • Homeowner/Rental information
  • Attorneys
  • Medical accounts
  • Voter Registration
  • Schools
  • Insurance accounts
  • Subscriptions

 

No comments:

Post a Comment